Capturing changes

Facebook timeline is launching. I set mine up and published it early. I wanted a chance to edit it and get used to it. The main difference is old posts used to be hard to find, now you can look back at your Facebook exsistence easily. Thankfully, I was a sporodic user until recently so there wasn’t much to feel embarrassed or sad by.

If you want to see my timeline page visit me here. Feel free to friend me whilst you’re there :)

I have been posting more frequently on Facebook thanks to finding blog readers on there and my desire to connect with other writers but I still prefer WordPress by far as a social media tool.

However, it took a while to get used to the fact WordPress keeps my posts, that I can look back and see my thoughts and ramblings. For someone who never kept a journal, it was hard to put things on here that I knew would remain fixed until I desired to remove / delete them. We change so much through time – who we are and what we’re doing and who is part of it that capturing all the changes becomes a scary thought but I think it would be scarier not to see the changes.

If I looked back and couldn’t see growth in myself then I would be disappointed. So I’m going to embrace the new Facebook and treat it like this blog – something to watch myself and those I’m connected with grow through and by.

How do you feel about the new Facebook? Do you like to look back and see how you’ve grown?

Vix

xx

Next Post

1. It’s too busy! Companies always do this. They have a great product and royally stuff it up by making too much go on. FB worked so well because of the simple, easy format. Now there’s stuff above, to the right and two columns down the middle. Whaaaattt? Sloooow down.

Okay, I’ve calmed down now. It’s okay. I’ll have to get used to it. I like that I can have a main pic as my header :)

2. I did my Timeline a while ago too, and it took me while to get used to the difference, but I am used to it now, and like it. It’s so easy to look back and see old posts now, and as you say, we can watch our growth.
    I checked out your Timeline, and have sent you a friend request by the way!

3. When did timeline start? I just start seeing it this week, and I have to admit that it looks too busy. Maybe it’s because I’m just not used to it yet.

4. jan

/  December 22, 2011

I’ve never been on facebook actually. I know, I’m 30 years old and completely technologically-behind.
    I haven’t ever seen or used an ipad, iphone, facebook, twitter, etc etc. I only recently acquired a laptop! Yep….financial lows are on me for a while now, so I’ve been in the closet with all social media. It worries me to be honest because if/when I wanted to connect to other writers or perhaps put myself out there for more opportunities in life, I’m not getting it. I worry too because I don’t even know how to use any of that stuff (like i don’t even know what text messaging is…i have a basic cell phone and don’t even have voicemail because I can’t afford the extra cost).
    What do you think about wordpress versus blogger? I’m noticed a lot of writers tend to use blogspot as their blog thing (but I always thought wordpress seemed easier to use?).

• That’s probably better than getting addicted to it all! I’ve only ever used WordPress so not sure about Blogger! Seems easier to comment on WordPress though!

5. I’ve seen the new timeline a few times. Not a fan yet. Looked busy and confusing to me. But, if they force it, I will do it. LOL. :) Facebook, Twitter, and Blogging are my FAVE social media outlets. They’re so interactive and fun!!

6. I haven’t started using it yet, but have seen a few others are using it. Not sure if I like it…constant FB changes drive me crazy! I love being able to connect with people but sometimes wonder how much I’d accomplish otherwise if I didn’t spend so much time there!

7. I recently re-posted a ghost post from my blogging past, and I was happy to see the growth that occurred between that post and today. Yes, seeing growth is encouraging. Sometimes, looking back is a great reminder of how far we’ve come.

• That must be fun to repose something and I’m glad you saw positive growth although I’m sure you always had the great writing!

8. I sent you a request (my actual name is Alicia, lest you think it’s a random creepster). I didn’t like the Timeline at first, but it’s definitely growing on me.

9. I’ve only seen one timeline so far, and haven’t adopted it myself. I may. We’ll see.

We do change and grow as the path unfolds before us!

10. I am sure that I will get used to the new look, but I haven’t changed my page to that format yet….
    Great post!

11. What a very positive view on your blogs, growing as you go. They say life is a learning / growing process! I hope you are satisfied so far.

12. I’ve kept journals all my life since early grade school. The main benefit to them was to do exactly what you said. I needed to see growth. Sad to report that there was a good portion of my adult life where I can clearly see not only no growth, but in fact a shrinking of me. Happy to say that I’ve come out of that phase a much stronger woman and am now growing strong :)

13. I don’t like Facebook, but I like the idea of the timeline. It seems a lot more organized.

14. Mainly, I am on my iPhone navigating Facebook and it is NOT friendly at all!
    It’s very hard to keep up and find stuff.

On the other hand, I adore looking back over my blog, especially during the same time of year. It is like a journal and a journey – something I absolutely adore. So…I hope wordpress likes me, because I am staying for awhile and I hope you do too. :-)

15. I love looking back at how far I’ve come! But I’ll be honest – changes are not my favorite thing. Haha! I’m pretty sure I’ve hated every single Facebook change so far. :P But it’s okay – I’ll adjust to it eventually. :)