If you’re editing and you know it, clap your hands

20140225-101209.jpg

I’m in the midst of editing and I keep seeing people sharing funny pictures to show what editing is like. Seriously it’s such a relief to know you’re not the only one staring at your laptop wondering why a chapter that seemed amazing yesterday now needs a complete rewrite.

I feel like my inner voice is yelling at me for making stupid mistakes sometimes. It sounds a bit like Ross:

1858A9FE2CC2F4368F696D59453B

Editing can be a painful process but when you step back back and see your work start to improve and become closer to what you set out for it to be it’s exciting too.

I just make sure I have a plentiful supply of chocolate biscuits to see me through it :)

20140225-101906.jpg

Do you enjoying editing?

Next Post

1. Yes, I enjoy it! When I’m editing, I never have to stare at a blank page. There is something there. I just have to mould it into shape.

2. That would be a negative. I can’t stand editing. I don’t know where to begin and where to end. I mean I wind up rewriting the entire story. So that’s why I would rather pay and editor, because I can’t see to get through it. ugghhh…

• Haha it can be pretty stressful! And it’s hard to know when you’ve done enough. I’m learning, hopefully I’ll get better at it the more I do!

3. Hee hee. I have just started editing a story I wrote last year and have come across a part which is – well, let’s say, just not good enough!! My edit has become a “rewrite”!

And as Oscar Wilde said, I’ve been spending “half my day putting in commas, and the other half taking them out!”

4. I love it, but I might be biased ;) Writers never cease to amaze me. To me, editing seems much easier than creating words and characters and stories.

5. I am better editing other peoples stuff :)

6. Like Donna above, I’m definitely better at editing people’s stuff! I have my fiancé to edit my books for me so that’s something I don’t have to worry about. ;)

7. Well THAT’S the first time I’ve seen the words “enjoy” and “editing” used in the same sentence :D I hate the actual process of editing and always find myself wracked with doubt over whether to change sections or leave them as they are. However, I love the feeling of looking back over an edited section and realising that, yes you have actually made it so much better.

8. I love editing other people’s work. Haha. But when it comes to my own, it depends. It’s a great exercise, and I love discovering new ways to make something more concise. But if I’m editing something really personal, then it’s like killing my babies. (Note: I don’t have any actual, real live babies).

• There are always a couple of sentences I can’t change because I’ve fallen in love with them. Oh phew not real babies :)