Edited out

It’s been a while since my last post. Basically, my head has been so full of the book I was editing, it had no space to think about writing a blog post as well. I’ve spent three months on this edit and I think it’s the longest I’ve ever taken on polishing up a manuscript. I am completely edited out. But I’m also proud of the work I’ve put in and excited about the story, which has made all the staring at the computer screen worth it.

I think I’m still finding my editing feet. I am probably not the most patient person so it can be frustrating when something isn’t taking shape as quickly as you want. Sometimes it’s hard to turn what you see in your head into something that works on the page. I’m not sure I have found an editing style yet but this time I tried reading the book out loud, which did help spot errors and make the dialogue flow better. I feel like this book challenged me and now I’ve sent it back to my agent, I can see how good that was. I want to be stretched as a writer.

I think your writing improves with everything you write and the more times you edit your writing, the more natural it feels.

Editing seems to require a lot more concentration that writing a first draft for me and consequently, I feel a bit exhausted now that it’s done. But I am pleased with how the story is shaping up and that is a lovely, and pretty rare, feeling for a writer :)

So I am edited out now but hey I edited this book …

photo-3

Haha!

Well kind of.

I mean, I hope I did.

Uh-oh, the self-doubt is kicking in …

*runs away*

1. I bet you did fabulous! You are a BOSS of writing and editing. Woot! I am happy for you. :-)

2. What an accomplishment!! Honestly, I’ve never written a book to the point where I could actually start editing. For the past 7 years, I worked a crazy full-time job that took up a lot of my time, so I turned to blogging in order to force myself to write every day. The funny thing is that I feel as though I found my voice through blogging. But now that I’m home a lot more and only working a few days a week, I’d really like to start working on a written piece that I can finish… edit… and maybe even try to do something with (a.k.a. ‘maybe’ try to get published). :) So I’m excited to see where your novel takes you!!!! Someday, I may be writing you for tips. :)

3. Well done, take a break, coffee and cake.

Jim

4. Congratulations! :D That’s awesome. Editing is always the hardest part for me. I tend to read aloud when I’m first-drafting a novel, too, just because I’m also a playwright… so it’s kind of a force-of-habit thing. But patience is the huge roadblock with me, too—I have been revising my current book for a year and a half, and it’s basically killing me, haha. But then when you send out the queries, you’ll be that much more sure of yourself, right? Right.

• Thanks! Aww yes patience is so hard in publishing but you need buckets of it especially when you’re waiting to hear from agents / publishers :) Good luck with yours!

5. “your writing improves with everything you write”

I agree. There is no wasted writing. I’ve pretty much permanently shelved my third novel (I’m not saying that I’ll never write a third novel — but I don’t think it’s going to be _that_ third novel :-) ), but I learned a lot from writing and rewriting it. Definitely not wasted effort.

6. Hi Victoria, the lovely folk at WordPress suggest your blog to me and they were right I love it! well done for your first book that is so impressive. I am a newbie blogger with 2 whole posts to my name and would really appreciate any advice you have on starting a writing career.

Will definitely be following you from now on!

Good luck with the book!

Soph x

• Hi Sophie, lovely to meet you!! Thanks for checking my blog out, congrats on joining the blogging world :) The best advice for writing is really just to read and write as much as you can. I wish there was a better formula to it haha. Are you writing something right now? x

• Thanks for the advice – my kindle has just died…its like someone is trying to tell me not to bother! haha

I’m not writing anything at the moment apart from my blog. I really want to write a book but I don’t know how to even think about starting, what kind of book I want to write or anything. My degree was in law and I’m a lawyer by day so don’t have any creative writing experience really.

I was considering doing an online course but not sure if these are worth it. What are your thoughts?

will keep you updated!
        x

• I think you can over-think writing in a way, just start! I have written lots of things that didn’t get beyond a chapter, it’s fun to play around and find what your genre and voice will be. I haven’t done a creating writing course myself but lots of people do, it depends what works for you. Maybe see if you enjoy writing fiction first. Yep keep me posted! x

• Fab advice! Thanks! X