I just started watching my 30 Rock series 5 box set and more than enough I was confronted by the uncomfortable truth – I share a lot of similarities with the main character Liz Lemon. I say confronted, my mum pointed it out every helpfully!
If you’ve never seen the show, Liz Lemon is head writer of a fictional SNL-type show played brilliantly by Tina Fey (who by the way, I love).
Here’s what we have in common:
1. We are both single with a depressing dating history.
2. We both love food. Like really love it.
3. We kind of look similar with thick shoulder length golden brown hair that has a tendency to turn into a frizzy bush plus we both wear tortoiseshell glasses.
4. We are both clumsy.
5. We both hate exercise.
6. We are both geeks easily obsessed by films and TV shows.
7. We like to think of ourselves as feminists.
8. We have both taken up knitting and then ditched it.
9. We imagine ourselves as being funny but quite often people are laughing at and not with us.
10. Our favourite wine is Pinot Grigio.
Do you share any traits with a TV character?
Posted by Victoria-writes on March 24, 2012
I think I might actually love Tina Fey. I think it’s really cool that a woman is kicking ass in the comedy world and she comes across as smart, funny and a sassy lady!
My love for Tina Fey was born from watching 30 Rock, which I am a big fan of. It’s a quirky, silly but often laugh-out-loud show, which Tina Fey stars in, produces and often writes. Some fo the gags are too American for me relating to current affairs or political people out there but most of them I get and I love Tina’s character Liz Lemon – a perpetually single lady who is obsessed with food (there may be a few uncomfortable similarities there lol).
I just finished watching Series 4 on DVD. It’s only shown on Sky over here so I had to wait for the box set. I loved this series and raced through it so I will need to re-watch. Often you miss some funny things on 30 Rock on the first watch anyway so it’s good to take another look.
I don’t like shows who add in celeb cameos just to say look who we’ve got but 30 Rock always uses them well – Julianne Moore was great as the heavily Boston accented Nancy and Matt Damon as Liz’s potential soul mate.
My fave parts were with Michael Sheen who was trying to get Liz to settle and marry him even though they both hate each other. It’s so true that many of us wonder if we should juts find anyone to marry and they used this to great comic effect!
Any other 30 Rock / Tina Fey fans out there?
Posted by Victoria-writes on February 26, 2011