I recently watched Midnight in Paris – a 2011 Woody Allen film about a struggling American writer on holiday in Paris with his fiancée. The lead character Gil wishes in lived in Paris in the 1920′s when everything was far more magical and inspiring for writers and one night his fantasy comes true.
I really enjoyed this film – it’s romantic and funny and magical and if you’re a writer, you will definitely with Gil and his fantasies. It got me wondering if I had the opportunity to go back in time and experience a different era – which would I choose? The answer came pretty quickly. I fell in love with Jane Austen in my early teens and the love affair remains strong to this day. I’d love to get sucked back to her time and be able to live in the world she did.
Reasons why I would love to visit the Regency era of Jane Austen:
1. Courtship appears far more romantic – men are gentlemanly, dating is chaperoned and you fall in love at grand balls and across the table at dinner.
2. You get to wear long dresses and fancy gowns for special occasions made just for you.
3. No cars. Just horse-drawn carriages.
4. There’s no TV or internet so much more time for reading and writing. I’d have to give sewing a miss as I’m useless.
5. You actually have to converse with people and spend time with them. No calling on the phone or texting allowed.
Of course, if I did go back, I’d have to be a wealthy lady. I quite fancy a grand country pile somewhere. And I’d obviously bump into Mr Darcy, because he was real, and he’d sweep me off my feet.
Okay my imagination has carried me away as usual but I would definitely recommend Midnight in Paris if you want some pure escapism.
Which era would you go back to you if you could?