Yesterday was a crisp, sunny day so I headed out of the office at lunch time for a stroll around the small amount of shops in the high street. I ended up in HMV (why does it always call out to me?!) and picked up Avril Lavigne’s new album ‘Goodbye Lullaby’ as her new single ‘What the hell’ is stuck in my head at the moment.
I got home and looked at my rather large CD stack (there’s also a large amount hiding in a cupboard) and realised I had purchased number 4 out of 4 Avril albums – yes I own all of them. Yet if you asked me whether I was a fan of her, I’d probably just shrug and say she’s okay and not OMG I like love her (blogging is turning me American I think).
That got me thinking about the rest of my music collection and the paradox between artists / bands I class as my favourites and the number of albums I own by them. Other examples were Kelly Clarkson, Pink, Britney Spears, Leann Rimes and Coldplay – I own several albums by these guys but I wouldn’t put on my fave artist list. Weird.
Then I thought about concerts I’ve been too, here’s the list and why I went:
- Britney Spears (maybe I’m just kidding myself on not being a fan 🙂 ) back at Uni, it was one of my 21st birthday presents and I went with friends. Yes she mimed but good dancing.
- Madonna – a present from my cousin. I actually really enjoyed the show.
- Justin Timberlake – also at uni with friends. I went along because they loved him. Quite enjoyed this but a bit too much beat-boxing in the middle.
- Spice Girls – went to their reunion tour with a friend. Nostalgic fun.
- Westlife – got my mum tickets for her birthday and went along with her. They were pretty good.
- Michael Buble – again a present for mum. He was entertaining lots of funny jokes in between songs but probably better at smaller venues.
- Leona Lewis – logged on ticket sale day just to see and got tickets four rows from front so thought may as well go. Much better than I imagined, the music was funked up and was more dancy than I thought it would be.
- Jools Holland – went along with mum to Albert Hall – I wanted to see the support acts Rumer and Alison Moyet and it was a slick show.
- I also had tickets to the MJ shows but alas not to be!
I’m staring to realise I love music full stop and go through stages of liking one artist or band or one song or album by them and then may move on for a bit or lose track of them until they bring out some new stuff. Even looking at the ‘loves’ page on this blog, that list will probably change soon 🙂 I kind of wish I did have one favourite but at least this way they’ll be no obsessive stalking by me.
I am looking forward to listening to the Avril album and maybe after that she really will be on my favourite list!
Any secret Avril fans out there? Are you ever surprised by the number of albums you have by one artist / band? Do you have fixed favourites or like to mix it up?