Here are the best inventions in my lifetime (from 1983 onwards) in my opinion:
1. Hair straighteners: I use GHDs almost everyday. My hair is naturally thick and wavy with a tendency to frizz especially in wet weather. Straighteners have meant I can actually style my hair. When I was younger it was very busy (think Hermonie from HP) until I chopped it into a crop at secondary school. Now I can have most lengths using these.
2. iPod: This is so handy for commuting to work, small and light and packed full of my favourite music. I do still buy CDs as I like the physical format and worry about losing my iTunes music (wish they would store it online for us) and they are tough about sharing songs and reducing their prices but overall I do love my iPod.
3. Laptops: growing up, I was one of the first years to learn computers at school but didn’t have my own one until I was at college. Laptops arrived when I was at Uni but were pricey, now you can get one for about £350 and it means you’re not confined to one room in your house or your house full stop. Mine is pink! Only issue is the heat on the old knees.
4. Skinny jeans: When these first arrived I was skeptical and though they would only work on models but I like wearing them with long tops or jumpers and tucked into boots. Very versitile!
5. Uggs: I actually don’t own an official pair, just high street versions but they’re so comfy and warm for winter. Great for working in the city.
6. Flat screen TV and Blu-ray player: I love films as you know and this have made film watching pretty much like being in the cinema but without the annoying kids taking through everything. HD is also great for clarity of picture and sound, it’s like being there. I’m glad I’m not an actress though – you can see all the flaws! Flat screens are also great space wise – no more big chunky square boxes, they even go on the wall. I’m not sure about 3D TV yet but maybe it will improve.
7. The internet / email: This has come on leaps and bounds in my lifetime. I started my email account in 2000 and it was still new and strange then, I used to email my friends across the room! I can’t imagine working life without these tools. They’re just part of everyday now. And broadband is the icing on the cake.
8. Blogs: I had to include this! I only found Wordpress in December 2010 but it’s a great forum for writers and a place to share experiences and get to know people. Horray for blogging!
9. Mobile phones: I got my first one in my last year at secondary school and it was a brick with no texting. They have moved on so quickly, now I have an iPhone which does not even compare to that old Motorola! What did we do when we were stuck on a train, late home from work or in a car that had broken down in the middle of nowhere. A great invention if sometimes overused by people – do you need to talk that loudly all the way home?! Also the cameras are pretty handy too.
10. Google: I thought about Facebook but Goggle really is the best website in my opinion. I use it everyday without even realising it sometimes, it’s part of our langauge now and helps you find things amazingly quickly. Pretty darn nifty.
What’s your favourite invention of your lifetime?