Sometimes when I tell people I write young adult stories or stories for teenagers, I receive a blank stare. Some people think have had not been privy to the delights of YA literature although they most likely have (classics like Little Women, for example) but I don’t think many people can stay ignorant of this category any longer.
After Twilight shook both the book and film worlds, more YA books are being turned into films, movie makers realising there is a wealth of good stuff to find in the YA section. And what I like about this is the films are based on great stories, it doesn’t matter who the target audience was, the stories stand up on their own. Just look at the Hunger Games.
It’s always difficult watching a film based on a book I’ve enjoyed – sometimes it manages to capture the story well, others not but I will still go to see all these adaptations just so I can discover my favourite worlds come to life.
So here’s my top ten film adaptations of YA books coming our way hopefully soon:
- The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones – based on the book by Cassandra Clare. This is coming next year and here’s the trailer:
- The House of Night – based on the vampire series by mother daughter team PC & Kristin Cast. Coming 2014.
- Beautiful Creatures – based on the books by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, coming next year. Here’s the trailer:
- Delirium by Lauren Oliver. I’ve loved the first two books of this series and can’t wait for the final one. The film is at script stage so it will be a while coming but I can’t wait to see what they do with it.
- Divergent based on the books by Veronica Roth. Filming starts next year and it should be out in 2014. These dystopian series has been great read so far and I’m looking forward to the film adaptation.
- Heist Society based on the books by Ally Carter – this modern spy story should work well on the big screen. Drew Barrymore is behind the adaptation. Only in early development though so we have a while to wait.
- Wings by Aprilynne Pike – this series about fairies has a film in development, Miley Cyrus is supposed to be playing the lead but the clock is ticking on that.
- How I Live Now based on the book by Meg Rosoff is currently being filmed with Saoirse Ronan as the lead so possibly will arrive 2014.
- Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher – this is in development with Selena Gomez attached. This film will be interesting as the book is mostly narration.
- And finally it was pitched as an adult book but Stephenie Meyer’s The Host definitely has YA appeal and I’m very excited about it so here’s the trailer:
What YA adaptations are you looking forward to?